No More November
This November was no different. I was on such a roll with exercising and eating well, losing weight and feeling so much healthier emotionally. Then...smack...here comes the November blues. Laura was sick for almost three weeks with 3 viruses back to back to back. My stupid foot couldn't handle running three times a week to the point where I was limping around the house day and night.
Halfway through the month I admittedly gave up. I started eating wheat, dairy, and desserts like they would be taken away from me. Sigh, I feel so guilty and awful. I saw pictures of me from our Thanksgiving camping trip this week and I just want to sob. I don't like how I look at all. Even worse, I despise how unhealthy I feel. I'm ready for November to be over.
I decorated for Christmas early but somehow the calendar didn't get the message. There are still four days left of my least favorite month. So it's time for another attitude adjustment for Katie. I am going back to my tried & true method of listing the blessings I'm thankful for. I did this somewhat on facebook with everyone else but today I need to see a big ol' list of God's goodness right in front of my face in order to snap out of this sad state.
Thank you, God for...
- Your son, Jesus, who saved even me, the ever-failing & always flailing sinner.
- My incredibly patient, understanding, and loving husband. I would be totally lost without him.
- The undeserving privilege of being Mommy to my smart & lovable Laura Elisabeth.
- My family, near & far. Each person has taught me so much, words cannot express.
- My sister, Mollie, who is an amazing soul. (Please please please read her blog: Peace In Perseverance & pray for her & admire God's strength in her.)
- A home overflowing with necessities & the extra luxuries. I take them for granted too often.
- Date nights with Mathew (many thanks to my mother-in-law for that!) & time out of the house by myself (many thanks to my husband for that!)
- My snuggle buddy, Pepper dog, who always seems to know when I need some love.
- My church, Crown of Life Lutheran. We have been so blessed to find a church filled with people who love us & our very loud daughter.
- Friends here in south Florida that make it seem like I'm not so alone.
- Matt's work...all of it, even if it means he has some really long days & I may feel like a single mom sometimes. We can pay our bills & for that I am truly grateful.
- Modern technology that makes it possible for me to stay connected to those I love who are a thousand or more miles away.
- Good health, even if I am chubbier than I'd like. God has given me time without serious health issues...now to so my gratitude & get healthy!
- Support from those in my life as I do what I can, when I can to be a better steward of the body God has given me.
- Vacations with the family like Fall Family Fun Fest & our Annual Thanksgiving Camping trip. Those times are so important & I often forget how much I need my family's support.
- My nieces & nephews. Bethany, Logan, Alyssa, Arabella, & Baxter are such blessings to our family.
- Cooler weather. I need some change of temperatures from the wicked heat in Florida...November brought that bigtime.
- My mom, The Debbers. She's a kid at heart but has come through for me in the big ways when I needed her.
- My dad, Big Red. I miss him so much that sometimes I can't breath but I know without a doubt I will see him again in heaven.
- Quiet moments when I can stop my mind from spinning and live in the present.
- Pictures, new & old, that help my poor memory remember all that God has given me.
- New friends who have taught me so much about healthier, more natural ways to live.
- My bike complete with Laura's bike seat. Hopefully this will be something active I can do while my foot heals before I can run again.
- God's promises to never leave or forsake me. Deuteronomy 31:6
- The amazing ways Laura has grown this month. Her new words & skills make me so very proud & thankful for a healthy, growing girl.
- Naps & sleep...the gift of rest. God knew what He was doing when He rested on the 7th day as an example for us. :)
- Time over Thanksgiving to bond with Matt's side of our family. It was very needed & such a good time.
- Coffee, big cups of coffee. When the nights are long and Laura is sick, coffee is one of my best friends.
- God's forgiveness, grace, and love in spite of my sinfulness, self-centeredness, and tendency to doubt & worry.
- The sure hope of heaven because of my Savior, Jesus. Ephesians 2:1-10
30 days of thankfulness instead of 30 days of moping & a self-defeating attitude. That's where my heart should have been. Thankfully God doesn't leave me even when I'm at my worst. Instead He continues to shower me with blessings, love, and grace. How blessed I am!